TO: Interested Ministry Officials
FROM: Jim Bramer,
RE: Photo and Video Financial Reports Originated: October 1994
When you consider Ministry Finance Reporting, Click here as to some "vital signs" information as you pursue the following fundamental objectives and the essential financial information that you as a decision-maker MUST have. Please Click Here and go to some Photo and Video sample reports as produced via the QuickBooks (QBs) software.
"Point in Time information: Timely answer questions that have to do with PHOTO or "Point in Time information --- like a photograph, or a snapshot" - in accounting terms we usually call this a Balance Sheet . Another aspect is that the reporting emphasis is for the status of "Liquid" resources ---- Not amounts tied up in Land, Buildings and Equipment, etc.
- How much Cash/Bank Balance is on deposit;
- How much belongs to the INTERNAL DISCRETIONARY FUNDs or EXTERNALLY DESIGNATED
FUNDs at this time.
- In some cases, what Non-Cash Resources do we have,
- Plus what Unpaid Obligations (or Bills) do we have ?
"Period of Time : You MUST be able to timely answer questions having to do with VIDEO, or reporting of activity during a "Period of Time --- like a Video or Movie": the usual accounting terms for this report is Profit and Loss (P&L) or Income Statement. VIDEO reporting includes Ministry disbursements for Debt Retirement payments and other unique payments from the GPFund described when you Go Here .
- What has happened since the first of the fiscal year to the current point in time,
- What did each Fund start with and what type of Revenues, Expenditures and transfers
among Funds caused the balance in each Fund to increase or decrease?
Where are you in relationship to where you planned to be?
- You need to timely answer Actual to Budget questions that have to do with Video activity within the INTERNAL DISCRETIONARY FUNDS (or the General Purpose or Operations Fund).
- Or how does the actual activity, since the first of the fiscal year, compare to what was planned/projected (yea, Budgeted) for that period of time? Often by appropriate Department of the Ministry.
- This process is not that important for Special Purpose Monies, since you can only spend its available fund balance.
What is the perspective of this Photo and Video financial data?
>>> How does this information compare to meaningful Ministry Finance data.
>>> As a decision maker, you need to view the 'Big Picture' and follow financial trends. Click Here
and Here for a view of such matters in a church setting.
>>> We often refer to such reports as "Big Pix" reports or "KITS", or "Key Item Trend Statement".
>>> Another name for this type of reporting is "Executive Summary".
The bulk of this Publication originated in October 1994 and was . UPTD: October 24, 2010
ABOUT US | OUR PURPOSE | TABLE OF CONTENTS | SEARCH MATTERS | HELP DETAILS | FUND ACCTG VIA COMPUTERS | GLOSSARY